Valentine’s Day is one filled with love and clichés. The classic 1955 love story of Lady, a well groomed cocker spaniel, and Tramp, a mutt of a dog, is ingrained in our brains for the iconic spaghetti and meatballs scene. The shared noodle kiss, candlelit dinner, and Italian inspired music is one to be replicated. Thus, Date in a Box: Bella Notte is created. Why “Bella Notte”? Bella notte means “beautiful night” in Italian and is the restaurant where Tramp wined and dined Lady.
Supplies to wine and dine your “Lady”
- Wine: the first and most important ingredient. Be sure to stick to wines with low tannins, so as to compliment the marinara sauce.
- Wine glasses because it is Valentine’s Day, which means classy nights and pinkies out!
- Package of spaghetti noodles. The longer the better. Take a clue from Tramp.
- Marinara sauce. See how Serious Eats stacks up some brands.
- Meatballs. These can be made beforehand to make this Date in a Box even more ready-made. Your preference on spice and size.
- Parmesan cheese. Our favorite: parmigiano reggiano.
- Non-scented candles, because you smell way better than some fru-fru candle.
- “Hearts” of romaine. Get it?
- Caesar dressing. Our favorite: Cardini’s.
- Heart shaped chocolate covered strawberries